You can include additional vegetables (mushrooms or perhaps grated courgette) or for a vegetarian option, use cooked lentils in place of minced beef.
This recipe serves 6
600g minced beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 fresh red chillies, finely chopped (optional)
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 can (400ml) chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (250g) red kidney beans, drained
Salt and brown sugar
Cheddar cheese (grated)
Guacamole (See a recipe here)
How to make the Chilli Con Carne:
1. Cook the beef mince in small batches in a little olive oil in a frying pan, until brown. Season with a pinch of salt. When brown transfer into a casserole dish.
2. Cook the onion in the frying pan with olive oil until soft. Add the crushed garlic, red chillies and a pinch of salt and cook for a few more minutes.
3. Add the other chopped vegetables (carrot, celery, green and red peppers) and cook in the frying pan for a few minutes then transfer everything to the casserole dish.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes and tomato puree to the casserole dish with the mince and vegetables. Bring to the boil and then cover and cook on a low heat until fully cooked, for at least 30 – 60 minutes (longer is better). Add a little water if the chilli dries out during cooking.
5. Finally, add the cumin and red kidney beans and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Taste to check the seasoning, add a little salt and/or sugar if needed.
6. Serve with a blob of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and garnish with fresh coriander. Serve with steamed rice and optional guacamole and tomato salsa.