Tasty Street food snacks from Vietnam!
You can put whatever vegetables and meat you like in these rice paper rolls so you can pick your favourite foods. Below are a few suggestions of tasty fillings.
This recipe makes 10 rolls
For the summer rolls:
10 x 22cm round rice paper wrappers (you can buy these from an Asian supermarket)
1 avocado or 1 cooked chicken breast
1 carrot (cut into narrow 5 cm batons)
1 cucumber (cut into narrow 5cm batons)
3 spring onions (cut into narrow 5cm lengths)
200g vermicelli noodles
A handful of finely sliced lettuce or cabbage
A handful of mint leaves
A handful of coriander leaves
For the dipping sauce:
1 ½ tablespoon fish sauce
1 ½ tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1 clove of garlic (finely sliced)
Pinch of chilli flakes or 1 finely chopped red chilli
OR Sweet chilli sauce – for dipping
How to make the summer rolls and dipping sauce:
1.Put the vermicelli noodles in a bowl and pour over boiling water. Allow to soak for five to ten minutes (until soft) and then drain.
2. Dip one sheet of rice paper in a bowl of cold water for about 15 seconds, shake off the excess water and place it on a plate or chopping board.
3. Place a small amount of sliced lettuce or cabbage, mint, coriander and vermicelli noodles at the edge of the rice paper closest to you.
4. Beside the herbs and noodles put a few slices of mango and on top a few batons of carrot, cucumber and spring onion.
5. Next, beside the vegetable batons, put a couple of slices of avocado or cooked chicken.
6. Roll up from the edge nearest you, until you reach the avocado, then fold in the sides and continue rolling to make a nice neat package.
7. Make the dipping sauce by combining all the ingredients and stirring well to ensure the sugar is dissolved. Alternatively, you can use a sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
8. Eat straight away! Yummy!