Delicious Egg Fried Rice with Sweet Chilli Chicken is simple and quick, you can get the kids stuck in with the messy bits, and it beats a Chinese take away.
This recipe serves 4
Ingredients for the rice:
4 tbsp sunflower oil
500g cooked Jasmine Rice (or other long grain rice), cold
4 eggs, beaten with 1 tsp salt
150g frozen peas
4 spring onions (finely chopped)
Toasted sesame seeds (to serve)
Soy sauce and sesame oil (to serve)
Ingredients for the chicken:
500g chicken (chicken breast or thigh) cut into 1 cm strips
50g seasoned flour (plain flour mixed with salt & pepper)
4cm piece of ginger (thinly sliced)
1 red chilli (seeds removed and thinly sliced)
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
2 teaspoons cornflour
100 ml water
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
How to make the Fried Rice:
1.Weigh out all the ingredients in advance and chop the spring onions as you will need to work quickly once you start frying.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok over a high heat until very hot. Put the rice in and fry until the rice is hot.
3. Add in the eggs and stir very quickly while the rice fries with the egg.
4. Add in the peas, sweetcorn and most of the spring onions and continue cooking until hot.
5. Serve with the toasted sesame seeds and the remaining spring onions sprinkled on top.
6. Add soy sauce and sesame oil, if you like.
How to make the Sweet Chilli Chicken:
1.Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius/170 degrees fan.
2. Coat the strips of chicken in the seasoned flour. Put the chicken strips on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
3. Mix together the lime juice, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, cornflour and water.
4. In a frying pan heat up the sunflower oil until hot. Fry the chilli and ginger for about 30 seconds until just softening.
5. Add the cooked chicken and fry for one minute. Add the lime juice, soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce mixture. Fry for a couple of minutes, the sauce will thicken.
6. Add the honey and mix together in the pan.
7. Put in a serving dish (or on top of the egg fried rice) and sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds.