These muffins are refined sugar-free as the sweetness comes from the apple sauce, a ripe mashed banana and some maple syrup. With the raisins added in you could almost count these as one of your five-a-day.
This recipe makes 12 Muffins
100ml plain yoghurt
50ml sunflower oil
2 large eggs
100g apple sauce (homemade or buy your own)
5 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, mashed into a paste
100g wholemeal flour
100g plain flour (or toy can use all wholemeal)
1 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1½ teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Salt
Oats, Sunflower Seeds or Pumpkin Seeds to sprinkle on top, in the picture above I’ve also used a few dried calendula petals
How to make:
1. Turn on the oven to 190C/170C Fan.
2. Put muffin cases into a 12-hole muffin tin.
3. In a large jug whisk together the yoghurt, milk, sunflower oil, eggs, apple sauce, maple syrup, vanilla extract and mashed banana.
4. In a large bowl mix together the wholemeal flour, plain flour, oats, raisins, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt.
5. Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
6. Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases. I use an ice cream scoop with a ‘squeeze release’ on it to help me do this as it puts it neatly in the middle of the muffin case, but a couple of spoons will also work. Sprinkle with some oats, seeds or dried edible flower petals.
7. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool and then eat!