A hearty classic, delicious fresh flavours and double carbs, what else could you need?
This recipe serves 4
For the Tomato and Basil Pasta:
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
Salt & pepper
500g Dried Pasta – try fusilli (little twists) or penne (tube shaped)
300g cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
Handful of basil leaves, save a few to sprinkle on top
Grated cheese (parmesan or cheddar) to serve
For the Garlic Bread:
1 large loaf of bread, a French baguette or Italian-style ciabatta is perfect
100g salted butter, softened
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Some chives or parsley, finely chopped
To make the Pasta with Tomato and Basil Sauce:
1. First make the tomato sauce. Put the tins of tomatoes, butter, onion cut in half and a couple of pinches of salt in a saucepan. Turn the heat on to medium and bring to a simmer (when bubbles slowly start to form on the top of the sauce).
2.Cook the sauce uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until it is quite thick.
3. Once the sauce is cooked remove the two onion halves and using a stick blender or food processor whizz the sauce until it is smooth.
4. Put a large saucepan of water on the hob and bring the water to a rapid boil (when bubbles quickly and continuously form on the top of the water). Add 1 teaspoon salt. Add the dried pasta and bring back to the boil, give the pasta a stir to separate it a bit in the water. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer the pasta for 8-10 minutes, until cooked.
5. Meanwhile, add the chopped cherry tomatoes and a good grind of black pepper to the tomato sauce and heat up over a low heat.
6. When the pasta is cooked remove it from the heat and strain off the water using a colander or sieve. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the pasta.
7. Take the tomato sauce off the heat. Stir in the basil leaves, reserving a few to sprinkle on top.
8. Serve the pasta in bowls with a dollop of tomato sauce, some grated cheese and the reserved basil leaves on top.
To make the Garlic Bread:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Cut the bread into 2cm slices, cutting ¾ of the way through the loaf from the top, so that the loaf of bread is still held together at the bottom.
3. In a bowl mix the softened butter, finely chopped garlic and herbs.
4. Using a knife spread the butter mix in between each of the slices of bread, trying to butter both sides of the bread.
5. Wrap the loaf up in tinfoil and put on a baking tray in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Unwrap and serve with the Pasta with Tomato and Basil Sauce.