*NEW DATES ADDED*
One of the highlights of the last couple of years for both Erin in the kitchen and Jo in the garden, were our Twilight Gardening sessions. So this year, despite a few new challenges, Twilight Gardening is back!
Join us on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings in late July and August for a series of Twilight Gardening sessions. Each week we will explore a different topic, learning how to grow something edible (see the full schedule below).
The sessions will run from 6:30pm to approximately 9:30pm. We will start with a cup of tea or coffee and a bit of learning, then do a little practical gardening (sowing, transplanting, harvesting and everything in between) and finally we’ll all sit down together for a simple, but delicious homemade evening meal.
For those who have attended before, this year will be a little different in order to ensure that we abide by the Government’s guidance on social distancing and, most importantly, keep everyone safe. A few of the changes you will see are as follows:
- We’ll be asking everyone to stick to the recommended social distancing. We’ll make sure that there is plenty of space between tables and chairs to make this possible.
- The whole workshop (including the evening meal) will be held outside or in our Cow Byre (one of our outbuildings). If it’s raining we will have a canopy set up to ensure there is plenty of space for everyone to keep dry.
- Instead of the usual ‘family-style’ evening meal with sharing platters on the table for guests to help themselves, we will be doing a buffet-style service with either Erin or Jo serving you the dishes you would like from the buffet.
- There will be access to a bathroom in our house but we’re asking everyone to use the hand sanitiser provided when going into the house to use the bathroom and again when leaving the house.
- There will be a maximum of 12 guests at each session.
We enjoy our Twilight Gardening sessions so much, and we are really very happy that we are going to be able to run them this year – for the last few months it felt like it might not be possible. We can’t wait to welcome some guests back to The Edible Flower Kitchen Garden and bring together gardening amateurs and enthusiasts for a lovely evening of gardening, learning and having lots of craic.
These workshops are inspired by the Twilight Gardening Sessions run by The Skip Garden in King’s Cross where Erin worked as the cafe chef and Jo was a frequent volunteer. Thanks to everyone at The Skip Garden for all the inspiration!
The time: from 6:30 to 9:30pm on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings from Tuesday 21 July to Wednesday 26 August 2020.
The place: The Edible Flower, 121 Middle Road, Saintfield, Co. Down, BT24 7LS.
What to bring: We’ll be working and potentially eating outside, so come wrapped up warm. If you want to take notes, please also bring a notepad and pen.
The refreshments: We’ll provide simple refreshments at the workshops. Tea or coffee on arrival and dinner afterwards. All the meals will be vegetarian but please let us know when booking if you are have any other dietary requirements.
The cost: £27 (plus a £1.00 booking fee) for each workshop. Please buy tickets in advance so we know how many are attending and can plan the weekly workshops accordingly.
If you would like to attend but can’t afford to, please read more about discounted tickets.
The plan: The 6 workshops will cover the following topics:
Week 1 – Tuesday 21 or Wednesday 22 July 2020 – “No Dig” Gardening and the Art of Making Compost
Week 2 – Tuesday 28 or Wednesday 29 July 2020 – Garlic, Onions, Scallions and other Alliums
Week 3 – Tuesday 4 or Wednesday 5 August 2020 – Salad Leaves
Week 4 – Tuesday 11 or Wednesday 12 August 2020 – Greens and Herbs
Week 5 – Tuesday 18 or Wednesday 19 August 2020 – Greenhouse Crops
Week 6 – Tuesday 25 or Wednesday 26 August 2020 – Courgettes and other Edible Flowers!
You are welcome to come to as many of the workshops as you like… One, two or all of them.
The practical gardening activities will vary from week to week. Over the 6 sessions we will try to cover as many of the basic skills for growing your own as possible.
Cancellation Policy: If you need to cancel your booking, for whatever reason, please let us know as soon as possible. For full details of our cancellation policy please click here.